Lord knows there are PLENTY of grievances to express when it comes to the topic of stepmotherhood. However, I was in the mood to talk about something uplifting so I decided to make a list of the pros of being a stepmom. There have to be some right? Otherwise, what the heck am I doing with my life?!
To my surprise, making this list was actually incredibly easy! I thought I was going to have to really wrack my brain for this one. I realized that I should probably spend a little more time harping on these aspects of stepmotherhood instead of the more negative aspects that come with the territory. So whenever you are feeling down in the dumps, refer to this list and presto! Instant good vibes about your situation.
PROS OF BEING A STEPMOM:
1) You are automatically the “cooler” parent.
2) You get a break once in a while when they visit their other parent.
3) Stepmoms get so much credit for doing normal, supportive parenting things.
4) You get ultimate confidence that your husband really loves you. Otherwise he would have never let you into his kids’ lives in such a meaningful way.
5) The heartwarming satisfaction of receiving love from little people that are not obligated to love you or even like you. Hopefully everyone experiences this one!
So no matter how tough it gets at times, remember there are some positives to your unique role. These are only five but I think there are even more! Try thinking of some and add to the list 🙂
Jennifer Zelman is a stepmom/mom to three children and a stepchild herself. She is the creator of www.NachoMom.club, a video blog that discusses the challenges and joys of stepmotherhood in an informative and upbeat way. She is passionate about creating a supportive community of stepmoms to make our journey more manageable and fun! Please subscribe & follow me here: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, You Tube.